12.01.2010

day 1....felt and burlap advent calendar.

welcome to day one of my christmas crafts and tutorials event.
i am super excited to start showing you guys everything i have been working on, and i hope it inspires you to try a few things out for yourselves. so let's get started on day one's tutorial......


a felt and burlap advent calendar {$5}.



what you need.


2 sheets of felt (i used gray and forest green), burlap, hot glue gun, embroidery thread, yarn, needle, sewing machine (can be done by hand too)

 
step one. cut 25 squares out of one of your sheets of felt. this will be the pocket color.
step two. cut out the numbers "1 through 25" from your other sheet of felt. {this was the longest step for me, because i just did free hand numbers. if you have a stencil, i should go faster}
step three. with a glue gun attach numbers to each of the 25 squares.
step four. hand stitch each of the pockets/squares to a piece of burlap cut to size. {feel free to use as much or a little burlap as you like, the burlap acts as the backing to your calendar. no matter what size you want, you will want to leave a little extra fabric at the top}. i hand stitched the squares in a five by five square grid, but you can make your own pattern if you want.
step five. once your squares/pockets are attached, fold the top of your fabric over and pin it in place. then sew a 1" pocket across the top. {this pocket is for the yarn to run through}


step seven. hang your calendar and enjoy.step six. run the yarn through the top pocket of the burlap. you will be hanging your calendar with this yarn, so use as much or as little as you would like.



chris and i use our calendar to write little advent messages to each other. he gets the even days, and i get the odd days. we have fun writing short little memories, thank you's, and words of affirmation. it's kind of like we are in grade school again...writing cheesy little love notes back and forth to each other.
happy first day of december everyone!!{monica}

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your advent calendar - I thought you were selling it at first and I was like, "sign me up!!" but then I saw that you were illustrating how to make it - hmm, much more difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love that's so easy to make too. I think it's super cute that you & your husband leave eachother lil notes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I always remember advent calendars from my childhood and it was always so exciting to open a new window everyday! I'm also obsessed with burlap so this is a match made in heaven for me!
    Thank you!
    xox tash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun!! Looking forward to seeing all of the crafts :)

    Here is what I will be creating today :) http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/blog/2010/11/27/handmade-project-doormat/

    I also love her necklaces! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is the cutest calendar and so simple!!!
    i look forward to all of your Christmas DIY projects and to using some of them for my Christmas spree. Thank you for being so crafty so those of us that are "less creative" have some help.. :)

    Cheers!
    Bethani

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! i might have to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey... your "day 4, stamped gift tags" is showing up on my blog??? must be a post you saved as a draft to post later?? just thought you'd like to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey krystle...i saw that too?? i must have done something screwy? thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat idea! I'm excited to see your other crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am your newest follower and I am excited for these crafty posts!! Have an awesome day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea and affordable - I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete