3.19.2010

recipe...coconut angel food cake

Do you ever have those times where you wonder…..

“Why did I invite people over for dinner tonight?
I just got off work and now I have to try to whip up a meal in an hour, pick up the house and try to make it look like I’ve not been running around like a crazy woman!!”

I’m sure we have all had those thoughts a time or two….or ten.
In times like these, I’ve found that it helps to have some go-to recipes, cocktails, drinks and desserts…that you know are quick, easy, fool proof and most importantly taste good. Not only does it make entertaining easier for you, it also allows you to relax and have fun with your guests.

This is one of my favorite go-to desserts, that can be put together in less than 15 minutes but looks like you spent hours on it. It’s even fairly healthy….for a dessert.

It’s my…
Coconut Lime Angel Food Cake
All you need is...
One store bought angel food cake (you can make your own too)
8 oz of 1/3 fat cream cheese
1 c powdered sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c unsweetened coconut shavings

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the frosting-In a mixing bowl, with your mixer on low speed-mix the cream cheese, lime juice and lime zest until smooth. Then add the powdered sugar 1/4c at a time to the cream cheese mixture (NOTE, you may need to add more or less powdered sugar depending on the sweet/sourness of your lime). Once you have reached the desired sweetness, mix in the vanilla extract and set the frosting aside.

For the toasted coconut-Spread coconut in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Once the oven has preheated, bake the coconut for 3-5min until golden brown. Keep and eye on the oven. The coconut will get brown really fast.

Now for the fun part- Spread the frosting in an even layer over the cake. Don’t worry about the way it looks the coconut will cover it up. Once the frosting is on, sprinkle the toasted coconut on top, and serve.

Hope you guys try this one.

It’s light and fresh and perfect for Spring/Summer.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. mmm, that looks yummy. I love coconut. angel food cake is one of the few things that can't be made vegan (yet), but maybe I'll try making that with a regular white cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that sounds SO good! I love angel food cake. I've only put myself in that position once or twice, but it's usually Chris that will invite people over without me knowing until they're already there. Ugh, men.

    ReplyDelete